Hello! My name is Matthew and I am your new Ethical and Environmental Officer for 2020/21!
This summer I graduated in BA History at Birmingham and I am excited to start my MSc in Environment, Development and Politics. I love football, especially my beloved Newcastle United, and I play korfball (give it a Google) at university!
The role of the Ethical and Environmental Officer is to strive to improve the Guild and the University’s environmental impact where possible; I'm determined to work to develop a more sustainable university and student community.
I also sit on various committees, such as the Guild’s Ethical and Environmental committee and the University’s Sustainability Steering Group, which allows me to represent students' views on the University’s steps to improve. Student representation is a crucial part of any officer’s role and I aim to ensure that students are represented when it comes to ethical and environmental issues!
Crucially, I will also pursue the policies I outlined in my manifesto, which I hope will push the University to make strong and considerable progress in my year in the role. The Coronavirus pandemic has affected us all and this year will understandably be different to previous, but my manifesto pledges remain as urgent and pertinent as before:
- Launch a campaign to lobby the University to declare a Climate Emergency
- Work with the University to create a path to Carbon Zero
- Take steps to tackle single use plastic, to reduce food waste, and to transition to a more sustainable catering service
- Work with students and staff to create a more sustainable community, tackling issues around fast fashion and unsustainable commuting
- Build on the successful sustainability steps taken at the Guild
There is a lot to do but I am excited for the year ahead and determined to inspire progress and substantial change at the University and Guild of Students!
If you want to get involved, have any ideas or have something you would like to discuss please drop me a message on my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or via email.
I am always happy to chat!