Application deadline: Thu 14 Dec 2017
Please email a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
To lead a team of NCS participants through a variety of activities including a residential stay and a social action project.
1) Team Mentors
2) Wave Leader
3) Site Leader
4) Outdoor instructors
5) University staff
6) Representatives from local community organisations
Key role responsibilities and deliverables
• Lead and engage in activities with a team of up to 15 participants through all phases of NCS including the graduation ceremony in September.
• Attend the Meet & Greet evening for your team, approximately 10 days before the start of the programme, to introduce yourself and your team mentor and lead ice-breakers and team building games to encourage full participation and turn-up.
• Understand the needs of young people and ensure you offer a level of pastoral support, with the help and guidance of Welfare Officers.
• Act professionally at all times in accordance with the guidelines of the programme to ensure that NCS maintains a positive working relationship and respected reputation with colleagues, visiting speakers, charities, organisations and businesses in the community.
• Ensure all Health & Safety, Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding protocols are followed at each stage of the programme in line with staff training and Learn by Design policies.
• Positively promote the NCS programme at all times, especially when in contact with all external parties.
• Be committed to the further development of the NCS programme by providing feedback and suggestions to aid its development.
• Supervise and encourage the Team Mentor, co-ordinate their work activities and provide assistance with their personal development needs.
• Establish daily reflection sessions and follow lesson plans provided in line with the programme curriculum and NCS ethos.
• Ensure that the programme encourages and maximises the development of employability, social, independence and problem-solving skills for all NCS participants.
• Be punctual for all meetings, rendezvous points, activities and sessions.
• Follow the night-time supervision procedure on Phase 1, implemented by the Site Leader to provide adequate support for participants and staff.
• Adhere to and apply all Outdoor Provider and University rules and regulations to your team whilst on site or campus.
• Take responsibility for all Learn by Design property including the mobile phone allocated to you, returning all equipment on the last day of delivery undamaged and in good repair.
• Keep all registers and sensitive data, safe and secure on your person at all times, following Learn by Design process and procedure.
• Work with all delivery partners including Outdoor Instructors and colleagues to support and ensure the enjoyment and achievement of all participants and help them to reach their maximum potential.
• Work with all members of the staff team to deliver an inclusive and diverse programme of risk assessed evening activities during Phase 2 to engage all participants.
• Implement and utilise the Positive Behaviour Management principles and strategies, outlined in staff training to establish and maintain a safe and positive learning environment for all participants.
• Adhere to deadlines, procedures and timetables and ensure that all paperwork is completed correctly and handed in on time.
• Notify the Wave Leader immediately of any participant absence.
• Maintain regular communication and attend meetings with Site/Wave Leaders regarding all aspects of the team’s journey throughout the programme especially with regards to participation, attendance, behaviour and achievement.
• Facilitate and/or deliver timetabled Phase 2 workshops and sessions according to the guidelines and lesson plans provided.
• Support, supervise and engage in all evening activities during Phase 2 to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants.
• Attend and contribute to performance review meetings with your wave leader to monitor your achievements and help you fulfil your potential in your role.
• Co-ordinate, support and encourage your team through the planning, implementation and evaluation of a meaningful and worthwhile social action project that directly benefits people living in their local community and maximises on the talent and potential of each individual team member.
“Collecting points for the Personal Skills Award? You can collect PSA points through this job. Want to get involved in the PSA? Visit https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/employability/psa/aboutthepsa.aspx”