How can international students meet other students from the UK and across the globe? Can exchange students join student groups?
There will be so many opportunities for international and exchange students to make friends and get involved while you’re at Birmingham and it all starts during Welcome Week. From international events to student groups, have a look at some of the ways that you can meet other international students:
At Birmingham we have a diverse international community, and there will be plenty of events for you to attent to meet other international students. Here are a few that you might like to check out:
- International Welcome Celebration: This is a dedicated international celebration featuring talks from key staff and students. Come along to learn about our global community and what’s on offer at the University. Book your space from Wednesday 15th September.
Details: ?Aston Webb Building, Wednesday 22nd September at 4pm or Friday 24th September at 12pm
- International welcome event: Your International Officer Wei-Lun is hosting a relaxed social in Joe’s Bar (our student bar located in the Guild), giving you the opportunity to meet other students from all around the world, make friends and have fun. Get your free ticket.
Details: Joe's Bar (Guild of Students), Tuesday 21st September, 6pm
- ?Hall Reps’ International Welcome: The Hall Reps are a team of students who are here to ensure you have the best time in university accommodation and run lots of events. A key event you might like to attend is their International Welcome, so you can socialise and enjoy some food. Learn more.
Details: Thursday 23rd September, Leo’s Lounge (Pritchatt's Park), 7pm
There are also many other events available for all students to attend. Here are a few that you might like to explore: Welcome Fair, Hall Reps' Freshers Fling and the Big Guild Quiz.
Join a student group or a sports club
Whether you’re an international student here for 3 years, or an exchange student who is only here for a semester, you’re welcome to join a student group or sports club.
- Societies Fair: Here at the Guild we look after 500 student groups. We have cultural groups, as well as societies which focus on cookery, art, music, sports, academics and more. The best place to explore them all is at our Societies Fair.
Details: Guild Marquee, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd September, 11am – 4pm
If you can’t make it to our in-person fair, you’ll be able to learn all about our student groups at our Virtual Welcome Fair!
Details: Tuesday 21st September, UB Sport and Fitness, 10am
- Exchange Society: Exchange students can also join the Exchange Society which hosts regular activities and events. Learn more.
Say hello and make the most of Welcome Week
Welcome Week is full of opportunities to meet new people, so make sure you explore the different events happening, come along and introduce yourself to your fellow students. Remember a hello goes a long way!
From course inductions, to halls events, club nights and fairs – be sure to explore the range of opportunities available.