This term your Part-time Officers have been working hard for the student community, ensuring all students are provided with the best opportunities to get involved, meet new people and engage with key issues.
So we caught up with some of your Part-time Officers to see what they've achieved so far and to celebrate their hard work.
Here are their ‘Officer Wins’ for Term 1…
Jules Singh, Commuter Students’ Officer:
- Organised the Commuter Students’ Welcome Day, giving students the chance to meet fellow commuters and make friends.
- Lobbied and consulted with the University on updating its Commuter webpage, making it more up to date and relevant for students.
- Hosted a Commuter Winter Social with free travel mugs for attendees.
Shirley Ibegbulam, Women’s Officer:
Worked with the Women and Non-Binary Association (WANBA) to:
- Celebrate Black History Month with talks from Lady Phyll creator of Black Pride.
- Organise a Black History Month celebration evening featuring local music acts.
- Run islamophobia, disability and trans awareness panels.
- Supported Smarts Works in providing bespoke free work wear and interview advice for ALL women on campus.
- Is also in talks with OrganiCup regarding starting a sustainable menstruation partnership with UoB.
These tie in with Shirley’s #SISTAHOOD campaign in which all women are uplifted, celebrated and catered for.
Em Andress, Trans Officer:
- Hosted two Trans safe space socials.
- Hosted a vigil for Trans Day of Remembrance, and also commemorated the day by having Old Joe lit up purple.
- Helped implement a preferred name field in the New Core payment system.
- Campaigned for sanitary bins in all bathrooms.
- Campaigning for gender neutral toilets in the Guild Underground.
Amber Culley, LGBTQ Officer:
- Worked with Sports Officer, Josh on the Stonewall Rainbow Laces Campaign, making campaign material and working the stand at the BUCS Super Series event Uproar (27th Nov).
- Supported Careers Network in advertising their LGBT Mentoring Scheme.
- Currently gathering and analysing data for an Inclusive Language Guide for students and staff.
- Currently in talks with the University and President, Joshua to get LGBT+ specific healthcare.
- Working with Education Officer, Amanda to expand the LGBT+ curriculum at the University.
- Co-chaired the LGBTQ+ Association.
- Planning an LGBT+ History Month campaign in February.
Well done for your hard work this term, we can’t wait to see your progress in Terms 2 and 3!