The Guild Officer Team is changing. Following a review of the Officer structure earlier this year, we’re excited to announce that a new-look Officer Team will be elected next year.
For the first time ever, this will include electing a Full-Time International Students’ Officer. This Officer will be responsible for representing all international students at Birmingham, as well as students at our international campuses and those taking a year abroad.
The President will now have the additional duties of overseeing Guild democracy and will be the key officer for the Guild’s finances.
The Activities and Development Officer is changing to become the Activities and Employability Officer, and will now oversee the Guild’s events and commercial activities and lead on development and employability – as well as looking after our 280+ student groups.
The Welfare Officer and the Housing and Community Officer roles are combining. The new Welfare and Housing Officer will look out for the rights of all students, including welfare, safety, crime and housing.
Finally, the Education, Postgraduate and Sports Officers are remaining to ensure all students get the very best from Birmingham.
Looking for a new, exciting challenge, where you can create real change and have fun along the way? #makeithappen
See the full story: www.guildofstudents.com/elections
Full Time Officer Role Descriptions
Democracy. Leadership. Campaigns.
- Works with the University to make sure it reflects the views of students
- Leads the Guild on matters relating to democracy and governance
- Provides leadership to the Officer Team
Courses. Libraries. Learning.
- Helps shape the academic experience in partnership with the University
- Represents students to the University to make sure their education meets their expectations
- Works with Student Rep Scheme to make sure students have a say in how their course is run
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS’ OFFICER
Support. Community. Representation
- Makes sure all international students at Birmingham have a great student experience
- Represents University of Birmingham students on a year abroad
- Organises events to help integrate and support international students
ACTIVITIES AND EMPLOYABILITY OFFICER
Societies. Opportunities. Skills.
- Makes sure groups and societies help students to have fun and develop
- Helps students develop their skills and get employable
- Responsible for Guild venues and its commercial matters
Education. Community. Support.
- Helps postgrads get an academic experience that meets their expectations
- Makes sure postgraduate students feel part of their community and can get involved in ways that suit them
- Works with the University to make sure postgrads are healthy, happy and supported
Clubs. Wellbeing. Getting Active.
- Makes sure clubs help students develop and feel happy and healthy
- Works with UB Sport to make sure clubs are meeting student expectations
- Helps students across campus get active in the ways that suit them
WELFARE AND COMMUNITY OFFICER
Health. Support. Happiness.
- Helps direct students to the right support services on campus
- Campaigns to help staff and students build a happy, inclusive community
- Supports the wellbeing of students on in campus accommodation and the community