Welcome to Campaigns
Campaigning is about trying to change things from the way they are, to the way you want them to be. For example, you could run campaigns around making your education more accessible or diverse, pushing for the University to be more sustainable, or to make public transport more reliable.
We’re passionate about equipping students with the tools to create positive change – we’ve been doing it for over 100 years! Just click here if you want to see what we've done in the past.
Each year we provide staff support and funding to a huge range of different student campaigns that do just that.
What is a campaign?
A Campaign Is
- Working to change the policies and/or practices the university, the city council or the government. e.g. We are asking the university to cap student rents on campus at the minimum student loan.
- Raising awareness of an issue to our members. e.g Black History Month, Asexual Awareness Week etc...
- Participating in national campaigns (such as NUS campaigns) on issues that affect students now, or will in the future.
A Campaign Isn't
- Solely raising money for a charitable cause, as the Guild cannot directly pay for fundraising efforts under charity regulations.
- Trying to change something inside the Guild itself – e.g. More vegan options on Joe’s menu.
- If you want to change something that the Guild does, you should go through the Guild’s democratic structures (i.e. Your Ideas, conversations with officers, running for election etc).
- Anything that breaks the law. The Guild cannot fund or support with staff time any campaign that plans to use illegal activity to achieve its aims.
If you’ve got an idea for a campaign and want some support, advice or funding, email us at email@example.com or submit it through our ideas form, here.