Where you live whilst at University and who you live with are important decisions. By clicking on the links below you will find useful information for when you start looking for private rented accommodation and how to deal with issues that may arise both in University and private rented accommodation alike.

  • Repairs – what to do if something gets broken or is in need of repair
  • Deposits – when to pay, and how to get them back

These advice directs are a starting point, so please contact us directly for more advice and guidance.

The Standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Click here to find the Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) approved by the University of Birmingham and the University of Birmingham Guild of Students. This tenancy agreement is for use by private landlords and agencies, and can be printed off as required at no cost.

The Guild of Students do not review or endorse any other tenancy agreements – please contact us about any landlord or agent who suggests that their contract has been endorsed by the Guild of Students or our individual departments.

Please note while this is the endorsed contract for use with University of Birmingham Students, both the University Accommodation Services and Guild Advice recommend that students still get their contract checked before signing so that they can understand their rights and responsibilities as good tenants and check any additional terms that are included.

Useful Contacts