information for international students

Hello and Welcome!

We’re really excited to welcome you to the University of Birmingham and to our lovely city! 

You should be very proud of yourself for achieving the qualifications required to study here and being brave enough to leave friends and family to live in a different country.

If you have arrived before the start of term in September we have a whole support page dedicated to international pre-sessional students, please click here.

As an International student, you can also register to receive support from one of our ‘Global Buddies’ through Guild Advice. We offer a peer to peer service that provides informal support and guidance to help you engage in your community, meet people from other countries and fully integrate in University life. 

To get involved email us via or find all the information you need to apply here.

Useful Information

Travelling to another country for your studies can be a daunting moment. You will find useful information below for when you arrive in the UK.

Council Tax for Internationals;

This leaflet explains the rules that govern Council Tax liability for international students.

If you are in the UK as a Croatian National you must apply for a yellow registration certificate if you want to work whilst you’re a student in the UK. For further information click here 

Useful Contacts


UK Council for International Student Affairs provides free advice and information to overseas students.


The International Student Team (IST) provides support and advice for prospective and current international students at the University.

UK Border Agency (UKBA)

For all Visa enquiries

British Council

The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.

Contact Us

Comm. Wardens - 0121 415 8968

Guild Advice - 0121 415 8965

Guild Lettings - 0121 415 8376

Student Mentors - 0121 415 8967

Global Buddies - 0121 415 8984






Latest Student Deals

NHS Living Well
German Doner Kebab