Science and Technology News and Views magazine.
We are the University of Birmingham's student-led bi-annual science magazine & science communication society.
If you have an interest in journalism or scientific writing then this is a great opportunity to get some experience and practice. We cater to a wide range of scientific tastes from Psychology to Quantum Physics! If writing's not your thing, we accept any form of content that communicates science–from artwork to crosswords!
The committee take charge of producing the magazine (acting as an editorial board), whilst members submit content. Our editors provide feedback and editing for all submissions, so don't be afraid of submitting even if you don't have experience with scientific writing! We strive to publish informative, factual and interesting magazines; issues are published at the end of the Autumn and Spring Terms. We additionally ran a mini-issue about the COVID-19 pandemic (https://issuu.com/satnavmag/docs/covid_issue_reduced) and have an array of online-exclusive articles on our website (https://www.satnavmag.com/all-news)
As well as publishing our member's content, we also provide events to give students more hands-on experience in science communication, throughout the year. From collaborating with other societies (such as World Space week and STEM, LGBTQ & You) through to running our own series, including 2021's Futures in SciComm careers events. We really do have events for everyone interested in science communication.
Keep up to date by joining our facebook group:
Read the online copy of our printed magazine here:
or on our website:
- Opportunity to have your writing/artwork published in a science-based magazine and website.
- The chance to become a committee member and have a direct input in the running of the magazine & editing of articles.
- Free admission to the various science communication workshops we organise throughout the year.
- Access to our Science Communication events and collaborations (and the chance to propose your own (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ability to join a community of other students passionate about science communication
- Be in constant touch with the greater science community (chance to be published in external publications, such as Research Fortnight).
- Reserved free copy of the magazine, when your article is printed!
Don't forget to to keep in touch with our latest news on facebook, twitter and instagram!
Join our LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/company/satnav-science-and-technology-news-and-views/