What is the process?

We follow this process and aim to respond to all complaints within a reasonable timescale.

How can I submit a complaint?

Email: complaints@guild.bham.ac.uk

Write to: Activities and Employability Officer, Guild of Students, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham, B15 2TU.

Who will reply to me and when?

Your reply will normally come from the appropriate member of the Guild’s Officer Group depending on the nature of your complaint. Our aim is to respond to all complaints initially within 14 days.

What if I have not had a reply?

Please contact the Activities and Employability Officer on activities@guild.bham.ac.uk. They will investigate for you.

What happens if I ask not to receive a reply?

If you ask not to receive a reply, your comments are still noted.

I've submitted a complaint… what happens next?

  • We will provide a prompt response, and reply as soon as our investigation is complete. Our aim is to answer your complaint initially within 14 days of receipt.
  • We will listen to your comments and learn from them all, because they help improve our processes and services.
  • When we have made a mistake we will apologise to you, and take action • to stop the same mistake happening again.

I'm not satisfied with the reply to my complaint... what can I do?

You can write directly to the President of the Guild of Students. Within 4 weeks of receiving your reply, the President will;

  • Undertake an investigation of your complaint and how it was originally dealt with
  • Decide whether your complaint is justified
  • Instruct the appropriate area of the Guild to take action to correct any issues and prevent the same mistake being made again
  • Reply to you with what has been done and apologise where appropriate.

I'm still not satisfied with the reply to my complaint... what can I do?

If you wish to appeal, the matter will be dealt with by an External Trustee, on behalf of the Trustee Board, who will undertake an investigation of your complaint. Letters should be addressed c/o the Chief Executive.

I wish to appeal the response…what can I do?

If you are still not satisfied with the decision of the Trustee Board, you have a right to refer the matter to a joint panel comprising members of the University and the Guild, details of which are published in the Student Handbook distributed to all students at enrolment and available thereafter from Student Services.

If you still remain dissatisfied you may be referred to an independent and external person nominated and appointed by University Council.

Latest Student Deals