1. You should have been taught by this person whilst you have been a student at the University of Birmingham. They need to have been a member of staff at the University of Birmingham.
2. The judging panel will be looking for evidence of some or all of the following when making their decisions;
- Outstanding teaching which is stimulating, enthusiastic and consistently challenging
- Expert knowledge of the subject
- Encourages and facilitates active learning. Active learning approaches tend to shift away from teaching techniques that involve simply transmitting information from the lecturer to the student. These kinds of activities can take place in a variety of different contexts including lectures, seminars and lab based learning.
- Gives prompt and helpful feedback that helps your learning
- Shows commitment to their students
- Excellent teaching could also mean a staff member who promotes sustainable living and commitment to our environment. There may be a class where you can pass on the subject matter to other students or people in your community.
- A contender could be somebody who encourages environmentalism and sustainable development within their teaching and embeds this within the modules that they teach.
- Empowers learners of any age, in any education setting, to transform themselves and the society they live in.