The Guild of Students is a democratic, student led organisation that’s here to help you get the most out of your time at the University of Birmingham (UoB). However, you’ve told us the way we do democracy isn’t working. Important decisions take too long to be made and they often happen with little transparency and limited student input.
Over the last year or two, we’ve spoken to you about the ways we could do decision making differently through a range of research and consultation processes. The new approach we’re proposing seeks to open up our decision making processes to give students a much larger role in setting our direction.
The key changes we are proposing:
1. Introducing 4 new Student Led Committees covering key areas of University life
2. Introducing an All Student Meeting and an All Student Vote to ensure everyone can discuss and make decisions on the big issues
3. Introduce some flexible options so you can tell us what you think when the answers aren’t obvious
4. Introducing a Scrutiny Panel that will review and track the work of Officers, so you know what’s going on
5. Making sure decisions happen more quickly, that they’re easier to understand and that processes are transparent
These are big changes to how decision making will work at the Guild. That’s why we’re asking every student to vote on whether they think it’s the right thing to do.
You can read the full model below and vote on whether you think the Guild should adopt this new model: