Gilbert and Sullivan
We are UoB's award-winning inclusive light opera society; the home of people who love to put on quirky shows with their friends! Between our non-auditioned chorus and orchestra, and our auditioned principal roles, there will always be a place for you in one of our shows, no matter your previous experience. In the coming term we're absolutely thrilled to be working on a completely non-auditioned showcase and Pirates of Penzance in the first semester, and Iolanthe in the second semester.
This year is special and, all being well, we’ll be back in the rehearsal room for the first time since March 2020. We’ll be staging two full shows, in February and June, as well as a December gala concert with external performances. In August, we’re taking Iolanthe to the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival in Harrogate, where we have previously come home with numerous awards including Best Production and Best Director (Ruddigore, 2019). In addition to our musical activities, we also run various socials throughout the year, including quizzes, picnics, karaoke nights and concert trips.
In a bit of a change to the normal procedure, our December concert will be entirely non-auditioned. To take part, grab your membership and drop us a line (firstname.lastname@example.org) or come along to our workshop rehearsals on a Thursday night. Our musical coordinator - Beth - will be running these in a friendly workshop format, giving constructive feedback and helping everyone along with their performances. Alongside this, we’re absolutely thrilled to be presenting the wonderful Pirates of Penzance in February 2022, with rehearsals on Tuesday evenings and Saturday afternoons. Semester Two will consist of auditions and rehearsals for Iolanthe.
- Tues 21st September - Guild Musical Theatre Societies on Mermaid Square - 2pm.
- Wed 22nd September - G&S at Freshers Fair 2021 - 11am - 4pm.
- Tues 28th September - G&S Workshop - 5-6:30pm - Rosa Parks
- Thurs 30th September - Auditions for Pirates of Penzance - 5-8pm - Harvey Milk
- Sat 2nd October - Auditions for Pirates of Penzance - 1pm-5pm - Roomy McRoomface
- Thurs 7th October - Gala Concert first rehearsal - 5-7pm - Basement Rehearsal Space
- Sat 9th October - Pirates of Penzance first rehearsal - 11am - 3pm - Basement Rehearsal Space
- Thurs 3rd, Fri 4th & Sat 5th - Pirates of Penzance shows
- Thurs 23rd & Fri 24th June - Iolanthe shows - Debating Hall, Guild of Students
- Sun 26th June - Iolanthe at Castle Bromwich Gardens
- Mon 8th Aug - intensive rehearsal week for Iolanthe at UniFest in Harrogate
- Fri 12th Aug - Iolanthe at UniFest in Harrogate
21/22 Show Dates:
- Gala Concert - 2nd, 10th and 11th December 2021
- Pirates of Penzance - 3rd to 6th February 2022
- Iolanthe - 23rd & 24th June 2022 (UoB Debating Hall) and 26th June (Castle Bromwich Gardens)
Remember, you don’t need to audition to be in our chorus! And don’t worry if you don’t know your way round the Guild, we’ll have committee members around to guide you!
Your 2022/23 Committee!
- President - Beth Lewin
- Secretary - Ella Tilbrook
- Treasurer - Joe Harding
- Musical Coordinator - Serena Higgins
- Press & Publicity Secretary - Caitlin Duff
Your Iolanthe Production Team!
- Co-Musical Directors - Ben Siebertz and Patrick Sharman
- Co-Directors - Ro Windust and Frankie Duggins
- Chorus Master - Alice Whitten
- Producer - Maya Ostle
The following positions are still available for the 22/23 Committee:
- Social and Wellbeing Secretary
Find us @UBGnS on Instagram and Facebook for more info on upcoming shows, auditions and to see what we’ve been up to!