Welcome to The University of Birmingham Philosophy Society (PhilSoc)
The Philosophy Society at the University of Birmingham is a student-led society for everybody. This is a group dedicated to weird questions and unsatisfactory answers: to the discussion of thought, knowledge, language, truth, logic, beauty, ethics, and love. You don’t have to study philosophy or know anything about it to join.
*COVID-19 - Due to the current Government guidelines, most of our events will be virtual for the time being, with this in mind there is NO cost to be a member of this society. So please do not be put you off from joining as we have talks, quizzes, and many other virtual events lined up. We are dedicated to giving you the best possible experience, whatever the circumstances.*
Virtual Discussion: Feminism, Friday 2nd October @6pm via Zoom - to find out more check out the event description on the Guild Website - https://www.guildofstudents.com/events/7179/4980/ and Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/245264730150376
Below is a list of some of what we do:
- Social Events - The main focus of the society is to provide an opportunity for social interaction outside of lectures. We focus on providing both social and academic events and activities throughout the year, including:
- ‘Think and Drink’
- Post Graduate/Guest Speaker talks
- Sober socials
- Bar Crawls
- Trip Abroad
- Societies Nights
- Sports Teams - We have had netball and football teams in the past, with training sessions and the chance to play matches against other societies.
- Student Support - We understand that university life can be challenging and difficult to settle into. Hence, as a committee, we aim to provide additional support to the student community, working with departmental and university-led welfare systems.
- T-shirts and Merchandise - This year, the society will be producing t-shirts for members to purchase. More details coming soon.
So join us.
Come along and let’s talk about philosophy.
Find us on Facebook and Instagram for updates on events this year.
Instagram: @uobphilosophysoc - https://instagram.com/uobphilosophysoc?igshid=1xx98xns0tboc
Facebook group: UoB Philosophy Society
Facebook page: UoB Philosophy Society