Global Buddies Events and Admin Support (Guild Of Students) [GUI1540GOS/EC] (2 positions)
Listed by Guild of Students
Application deadline: Mon 12 Mar 2018
To apply, please fill in the application on google drive:
Please return your completed form:
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Global Buddies – Guild Advice, University of Birmingham Guild of Students, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2TU.
The ideal candidate will be flexible to work weekdays, weekday evenings and weekends throughout the academic year to meet the demands of the scheme.
Thu 22 Mar 2018
This role begins in September 2018 although casual shifts may be available over summer vacation. Candidates must be available from Monday 17th September 2018.
Global Buddies is a Buddying Scheme that supports International Students, run by Guild Advice. Our Buddies are established students who volunteer their time to help International Students settle in to life at the University of Birmingham. The Service offers peer-to-peer support and regular mixing events – an opportunity to meet our friendly volunteers and other students. Global Buddies are often a first point of call for knowledge and information - they can help international students meet others and make the most of University activities such as sports, societies and events!
We require student staff to support with the planning and delivery of events and trips throughout the academic year, take on administrative tasks such as maintaining contact with our Buddies and International Students as well as database monitoring and recording.
Duties & Responsibilities of the Post:
- Support the planning and running of Global Buddies events and other activities that fall in line with the scheme i.e. workshops. This can include working within a team or taking the lead on activities as appropriate, leading volunteers and handling petty cash.
- Maintain excellent levels of customer care i.e. ensure Global Buddies are carrying out their duties and that students feel welcome and are being supported during events/trips.
- Communicate in various methods with both volunteers and International Students. For example, via newsletters, emails, in person or phone.
- Assist in collecting data and information from volunteers and International Students and record on the Advice Pro database and excel.
- Assist the Volunteering Coordinator in completing any administrative tasks.
- Observe and comply with Guild health & safety procedures, as there is a responsibility to work safely at all times and report any potential hazards, faults or problems to core staff.
- Attend and complete compulsory training as required.
- Carry out adhoc duties which naturally fall within the reasonable expectations of the post.
- Attend work looking clean, smart and wearing the uniform provided, name badges must be worn at all times.
The person specification describes the knowledge, experience & abilities that the Guild is looking for in the student staff we employ. To be successful, during the selection process (application form & interview) you should demonstrate:
- Excellent customer service
- Strong communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Flexible, committed and punctual
- Able to stay calm and friendly under pressure in a busy environment
- Proactive problem solvers
- Passionate about welcoming and engaging international students
- Approachable and Empathetic
- Able to balance academic work with your responsibility to the Guild as your employer throughout the academic year
To find out more about Global Buddies, please visit https://www.guildofstudents.com/support/guildadvice/global-buddies/
Please visit https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5xKBCeSN6bFY19iVzdGSGxnQ00">https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5xKBCeSN6bFY19iVzdGSGxnQ00 for the application form.
Administration, Customer service, Marketing, Stewarding
Type of Vacancy
Part-time or Casual