Drug & Alcohol Support

Substance misuse can lead to a swift exit from University Accommodation and then ultimately, University itself; however we are here to support you.

With reference to the University of Birmingham Drugs and Alcohol Policy, the University in no way condones the misuse of drugs or alcohol, and will balance disciplinary action with appropriate support for students who misuse them.

If you think that you or a friend may have an issue with drugs or alcohol, it is important to talk to someone about this, so we can get the right support in place to help you move forward.

Below are a few signs and symptoms that could indicate substance misuse:

  • A change in behaviour
  • Mood swings
  • Withdrawal from friends and family
  • Change in personal appearance
  • Loss of interest in hobbies/sport/activities
  • Change in sleeping pattern
  • Missing lectures or appointments

If any of these signs or symptoms seem familiar, please get in touch with Student Support.

The University has a fantastic support service available to all registered students. A professional team of Counsellors, Wellbeing and Mental Health Advisors can offer support and advice in the following areas: Wellbeing, Counselling, Disability (Mental Health Advisory Service & Learning Support)

Tel: 0121 414 5130

Visit: Aston Webb Building, Edgbaston Campus

Online: www.intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/student/support.aspx (info. & opening times)

If you would like some more informal advice regarding this then please contact the Student Mentor Scheme, Guild Advice, your accommodation manager or Welfare Tutor.

Useful Contacts


Reach Out

Recovery offers treatment and recovery services to support anyone experiencing difficulties with drugs and/or alcohol in a range of local community settings across Birmingham. Services are free and confidential, further information can be found here

Talk to Frank

A website designed to raise drug awareness. Find out slang words, the effects drugs have on your body and learn how to stop / cut down using them.

The Site.org

Drug safety information on provided by YouthNet UK, a registered charity.


Drink Aware

Information and advice on drinking and alcohol units.

NHS Choices

an NHS website detailing all health issues, complete with unit calculator, advice and information. 

The Site.org

Drink safety information provided by YouthNet UK, a registered charity.

Contact Us

Comm. Wardens - 0121 415 8968

Guild Advice - 0121 415 8965

Guild Lettings - 0121 415 8376

Student Mentors - 0121 415 8967

Global Buddies - 0121 415 8984
















Latest Student Deals